This is one of my biggest pet-peeves and we’ve all been there. The dreaded four-way stop. Daily I am left wondering how other drivers were able to get a license without having mastered this most basic of traffic situations.
Need a reminder? It’s pretty basic:
- As you approach the intersection and other cars are approaching, note the order in which you arrived. That order is the order in which you should proceed.
- If more than one car arrives at the same time, the car furthest to the right has the right-of-way.
- If a pedestrian is trying to cross, they have the right-of-way.
Things get messed up when you run into the following:
- The “You go first” guy. Despite it being their right to go first, they insist that you do instead, usually with a bossy (er, friendly) wave. I really dislike this. I know 90% of the time the other person is just trying to be nice. But there are rules that exist for a reason! I don’t want to start to pull out and have to trust that you’ll honor your wave. I came across this humorous commercial:
- The “It’s your turn, but I’m going to go anyway” gal. These are the Donald Trumps of the world, the ones who think that what they have going on is more important than what anyone else might have going on. They don’t worry about plowing into the side of your vehicle because nothing bad ever happens to them.
- The “That was a stop-sign?” guy. Be on the defense for him.
Hopefully, we all fit into this category:
- The “Following basic rules is easy!” guy or gal.
And here’s one last video, for good luck: